Sunday, January 18, 2009

New Years/Cotton Bowl

I was glad to see 2008 come to an end. I welcomed the new year in my traditional way. My going to see the Guilty Pleasures at the Cannery Ballroom. I like going to this show for several reasons. First, it's predictable. I don't have to worry about the experience I will have. I know exactly what I am getting into. Second, it's a hell of a good time. Most of my friends will be in attendance, and the band puts on a great show.

I usually try to get a little wild on New Years, but had to tone it back a little this year. I had bought tickets to the Cotton Bowl so I had to make sure I could make it to my flight the net day. I took an American Airlines flight to Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport. Let me go ahead and say this was a giant mistake. American Airlines charges you for checked bags and DFW is a mess of an airport. If I ever go back I'll take Southwest to Love field. I took a cab to our hotel, and then headed to Pappasito's for dinner. It was extremely crowded there, but I still had a great time. The only annoyance was some Texas Tech shitheel fan decided to shout "Mississippi Sucks, Ole Miss Sucks, and Eli and Archie Manning sucks." If I would have had my way, I would have stuck my steak knife into his neck. Afterwards we went to Dick's Last Resort, which was full of Rebel fans. We drank this bar, and several others, dry. Seriously, they had a pretty limited selection of beer and booze because we put a hurt on their stock.

We woke up the next day and got ready for the game. The Cotton Bowl is currently located at Fair Park which is a pretty neat place. The stadium is located in the middle of a fairgrounds near a large Ferris Wheel and Skycars. Next year it will move to a fancy new stadium in Arlington. If you ever go to a game at Fair Park, I would advise you to leave very early. We left early, but not early enough. We sat in traffic forever and ended up getting there slightly before kickoff. The game itself was one of the better I have seen the Rebels play. We spotted Texas Tech 14 points off turnovers, but then dominated the rest of the game wining 47 to 34. It felt good to dominate a #7 ranked big 12 team, and I loved it when the chants of "SEC!" came roaring down from the stands. After the game I was exhausted, and we didn't do much. We ate burgers at the hotel restaurant and had a few drinks at a mexican restaurant called Manny's.














The majority of our group headed home the next day, but I stuck around. We went down to see where president John F. Kennedy was shot. I saw the Grassy Knoll and the Texas Schoolbook Depository. Thanks to the jackasses who made the giant sign to help me find the Grassy Knoll and the local conspiracy theorists.











Overall, I had a great time, but I have no love for Dallas. I find it to be an un-remarkable city. I felt it was a newer major metropolitan area with no soul whatsoever. I'm sure there are some cool areas, but overall I feel it's pretty lame.
(Note: First time I added pics. I think I need a little more practice.)

No comments:

Post a Comment