Monday, February 2, 2009

Best Albums of 2008

This post is a little late in development, but it was one that I really wanted to write. I really enjoyed putting my list together last year. I didn’t think that this years offerings were as solid as last years, but here are my best albums of 2008 in no particular order.
1. The Hold Steady: Stay Positive. Remember back when we used cassette tapes and you could play one enough times that it would wear out? If my copy of Stay Positive was a tape it would have worn out about a month after I got it. I didn’t rank my favorite albums, but if I did, this would be at the top of the list: Favorite Track: “Lord, I’m discouraged”
2. The Gaslight Anthem: The ’59 Sound. My friend Marc convinced me to go see this band at the Exit-In. I absolutely fell in love with them. It’s hard to describe their sound, but I would tell you to imagine if Bruce Springsteen wrote songs for a soft-core punk band. Favorite Track: “Miles Davis& The Cool”
3. TV on the Radio: Dear Science. I bought this album pretty late in the year and wore it out while Christmas shopping. It’s one of the most diverse albums I purchased. At times it’s funky or jazzy and at other times it just rocks out. Favorite track: “Golden Age”
4. R.E.M.: Accelerate. Growing up, REM was one of my favorite bands. The band started putting out some albums that didn’t appeal to me in the 90’s so I grew apart from them. I heard great things about Accelerate and came across a used copy, so I picked it up. It ended up being one of my favorite REM albums. Favorite track: “Supernatural Superserious”
5. Neon Neon: Stainless Style. I’ve been into electronic and hip hop styles lately and this album definitely suits my tastes. This is actually a concept album. Every song on it is about John DeLorean the designer of the DeLorean DMC-12. Favorite track: “Michael Douglas”
6. My Morning Jacket: Evil Urges. The boys from Louisville put together a hell of an album. It’s much more upbeat than Z. Favorite track: “Aluminum Park”
7. Vampire Weekend: Vampire Weekend. I almost left this album off my list because it got overexposed. I hear songs from it everywhere: TV Shows, ball games, etc. It’s very Paul Simon-esque with the afro-pop sound. Favorite Track: “Wolcott”
8. The Walkmen: You and Me. The staff at Grimey’s Records raved about this album so I picked it up. I wasn’t disappointed. It’s a really unique and cool sound. I really dig the vintage organs. Favorite Track: “In The New Year”
9. The Black Keys: Attack and Release. This album intrigued me because Danger Mouse helped on the production. I wanted to see what he could do with a bluesy two-piece. He didn’t disappoint. The Black Keys are able to get more noise out of two instruments than most bands can get out of four. Favorite track: “I Got Mine”
10. The Raconteurs: Consolers of the Lonely. I purchased The Raconteurs first album and wasn’t all that impressed. The second album is totally different. I’m now convinced that Jack white is a genious. Favorite track: “Carolina Drama”

Honorable Mentions: Kings of Leon-Only the Night, The Cool Kids-Bake Sale, Coldplay: Viva la Vida

Albums I need to purchase or give another listen: Cut Copy-In Ghost Colours, Bon Iver-For Emma, Forever Ago, The Killers-Day and Night, Girl Talk-Feed the Animals, Santogold-Santogold, Fleet Foxes-Fleet Foxes, MGMT-Oracular Spectacular

No comments:

Post a Comment